Introduction to the Department
The Department of English in the college was established in the year 1963 and B.A Honours in English was started in 1995. Over the years it has been trying hard for teaching the English Literature and the Language among students of the region.
Vision and Mission
- Creating an environment that nurtures, motivates and inspires development of advanced skills in the English language.
- Guiding students to develop perceptive, critical and creative faculties.
- Exposure to the world of literature as an interdisciplinary subject involing other subjects in the Humanities.
- Connecting them with the recent developments in the field through the use of ICT.
- Preparing them for higher studies and competitive examinations.
- Installing in them sense of responsibility as an ideal Indian citizen.
The following courses are offered by the department:
|UG||B.A. Honours in English & B.A General (Affiliation with the Vidyasagar University)|
|PG||M.A. in English through distance mode of education (Affiliation with the Rabindra Bharati University)|
|Certificate||Six Months’ Certificate Course in Teaching English|
|Certificate||Six Months’ Certificate Course in Digital Humanities|
Teachers of the Department
|Name & Qualification||Designation||Specialization|
|Dr. Pabitra Kumar Mishra, M.A, PhD||Principal||American Literature|
|Tarun Tapas Mukherjee, M.A||Assistant Professor||American Literature|
|Santideb Das, M.A||Guest Lecturer||Indian Writings in English|
|Payel Chakrobarty, M.A||Guest Lecturer||Indian Writings in English|
|Mir Mahammad Ali, M.A||Guest Lecturer||Indian Writings in English|
|Thakurdas Jana, M.A||Guest Lecturer||English language Teaching|
|Arun Kanti Barik, M.A||Computer Instructor|
Facilities for Students
|Central Library||The central library has good collection books with ICT facilities and a Book Bank for the financially disadvantaged students.|
|Departmental Library||The department has a physical library with good collection and a digital library portal run by teachers. Students are guided in the matters of borrowing and access.|
|Video Archive||The department has a Video Archive for some years and more than fifty famous films are available for watching.|
|ICT||The department and the classroom are fully ICT-enabled. Teachers make use of the projectors, computer, internet and loudspeaker system for various innovative teaching methods for effective learning.|
|Online Portals||The department has created online resource portals: (i) for accessing study materials related to the syllabus, (ii) for guidance and study materials for West Bengal School Service Commission’s exam; (iii) magazine for creative expression and further discussions on the topics of the syllabus (iv) customized digital library interface from the departmental site. (v) an online journal on multidisciplinary Studies|
Teaching is conceived as holistic and comprehensive experience for students. In and outside the classrooms, students undergo various kinds of learning experience.
- Classrooms with ICT faculty
- Sound system for better communication
- Session in library under teachers’ guidance
- Holding workshops, seminars, quiz, group discussion
- Remedial coaching
- Counselling in dedicated departmental room
- Guided library hours at the department
- Project works
- Group discussion
- Enactment of drama/scene
- Online magazine (www.goldenline.bcdedu.net)
- Training for cultural functions and competitions
- Access to each central and departmental library
- Access to internet various net-hubs
- Project works
- Publishing in magazines
- Seminar, workshops etc.
Innovative Teaching Methods
The department is aware of the limitations of the tradition lecture method. So in order to add variety and more values to the teaching-learning process, it has adopted a number of methods and ways:
- Classes through Powerpoint Presentation
- Movie shows, Music Sessions, Painting Shows, Shows of recorded speeches of eminent litterateurs
- Session in the Language Laboratory for learning better pronunciation, learning higher English grammar
- Online Portal for guidance and questions-answers, for Career Guidance (even for the ex-students).
- Students’ magazine for approaching the syllabus in varied ways and for their creative expressions.
- Learning through recitation
- Shows of classroom lectures from foreign universities (downloaded from the web)
- One-to-one counseling and guidance
- Guided library hours
- Project Work for 3rd year students
- Quiz, Group discussion
- Remedial Classes
- Class seminar
Bhatter College, Dantan,
P.O. Dantan, Dist. Paschim Medinipur West Bengal, India. PIN 721426.
Phone: 03229-253238, Fax: 03229-253905.
Main website: www.bhattercollege.ac.in